Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Finally, a review!! LOL, you don't know how much I've been itching to write a review, but I thought it'd be better to write the recaps of the RT convention before I forgot. Then, my monthly reads list, because hey - I was already late! Hopefully, now that I'm starting to review again, I hope my muse won't take a vacation...

Today is TBR Day, part of Keishon's TBR challenge... Unfortunately, I haven't completed the challenge this month ^_^; Been too busy to and also, I have all these new, shiny books. Let just say I've been working hard at keeping my TBR pile at bay by reading the new precious! And if I might add, I've been doing a good job so far :D Although I just thought of something... TBR can also stand for "To Be Reviewed" no? I have plenty of books in that pile as well LOL - not as much, but still... Something to think about :)

***Warning: The review most probably contains spoilers as this is the last book of a trilogy***

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
published by Harpercollins Publisher  in April 2010
Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I'm on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We're hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We'll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we'd left behind and take out the Edison Group... or so we hope.

Genre: YA, urban fantasy
Series: The Darkest Power, Book #3

The Story: This is the last book in the Darkest Power trilogy where Chloe finds out that she's a necromancer. Not only is she a supernatural, but she was part of a genetic experiment done by the Edison Group whose goal was to diminish her powers... Let just say it didn't work. Now, Chloe and her new friends Tori (a witch), Simon (a sorcerer) and Derek (a werewolf) are on the run from the Edison Group and have hopes to reunite with the boys' father. For now though, they have found refuge with another group of supernaturals who have banded together in order to dismantle the Edison Group. Thus, the teenagers are given a reprieve and also the chances to learn about their powers. Too bad the reprieve is not long as Chloe and company quickly find out that all the adults have their own agendas, which does not bode well for any of them....

My Opinion:  Wow! I was really looking forward to The Reckoning. In fact, I was planning to wait till RT to get it, but it turned out that I needed some cheering up (first half of April was very rough reading-wise...) and so I caved... and it was a great decision! I really enjoyed The Reckoning and thought it was a great way to end the trilogy. The book is everything you expect from Kelley Armstrong: plenty of action and twists and
 a strong romantic element :)

I was very pleasantly surprised with the plot of The Reckoning. There were not many hints from The Awakening or the back blurb to know where Ms Armstrong was going with the storyline and characters and so, pretty much everything was possible. I really enjoyed the events in The Reckoning. Yes, the characters were given a reprieve, but it doesn't mean it was boring. Oh no, there was plenty of action! And let's not forget about all the twists :D Like I said, so many things I did not expect! It was really exciting and I couldn't help from wanting to find out more. Also, I think that Ms Armstrong did a good job wrapping up all the loose ends.

I love seeing the relationship between Chloe and Derek getting stronger. For me, there was no doubts from the beginning that Chloe and Derek were a pairing... However, while it's obvious for the readers, it's not always obvious for the people involved. I was really dreading the love triangle between Chloe, Derek and Simon and I was wondering how Ms Armstrong would resolve it. I was really satisfied with the outcome and how the characters handled it :) Poor Derek - so clueless... but even more, poor Chloe!! LOL, it was really cute when she was wondering why she had to fall for the rude guy! LOL. Even though the characters are young, I'm happy :D

One of my favorite scene is when Derek undergoes his first complete change. I didn't like Chloe's behavior when Derek asked her to accompany him - granted, she was pissed at Derek for his attitude before that, which is understandable... However, Derek asked for her help for one of the biggest event in his life. I thought she could have put aside their difference for a while... It just felt like Chloe was being a bit childish and stubborn... I mean, Derek deserved the attitude, he should have to grovel, but perhaps better at another moment. Anyway, still, I like the fact that Chloe was there for Derek's first change and how she wasn't afraid of him in his wolf form. It was cute to see them enjoy each other company and play :)

One thing that did surprise me though is everyone's reaction to Derek, because he is a werewolf. I think because the Women of the Otherworld series started off with Elena and the werewolves, readers are used to them and don't see how isolated and separated they are from the other supernatural races. They are definitively quite feared and little is known. I guess it makes sense given the number of them... Anyway, I liked this little insight... It definitively adding more to the world building. I hope we get to see about vampires in the future :P

Okay, I realize that my review isn't very helpful, but it's because I'm trying not to give too much away ^_^; Also, it's hard to review The Reckoning only, given that the story is a continuous one that spans the three books: The Summoning, The Awakening and The Reckoning. I think that Ms Armstrong did a great job with the storyline, but also with the characters. She introduced a group of characters that complement each other well. I liked that they used their brains LOL, and didn't simply rely on their powers. I'm happy to see where the trilogy ended and I'm looking forward to see Chloe, Derek and the others in the future. I definitively wish that one day, the YA series will cross-over into the Women of the Otherworld series. That would be great, not only seeing Chloe being properly mentored, Derek accepted by Pack... but also because I think this is something the Council should be aware of and get involved in.


My Grade: A-. Seriously, if you enjoy the Women of the Otherworld series and Kelley Armstrong's writing, you gotta read this trilogy. The writing is excellent, it's full of action and the plot is as complex. The only real difference between the two series is that the characters are younger... I'm definitively looking forward to her next trilogy - once again set in the same world, but new cast of characters. If only there weren't a year apart!