Monday, June 09, 2008

Review: Tall Tales and Wedding Veils by Jane Graves

Last year, I bought and read Hot Wheels and High Heels, my first Jane Graves book. Unfortunately, it missed the mark for me as I found the heroine quite annoying. However, there was an excerpt of Tall Tales and Wedding Veils and it piqued my curiosity... enough that a year later, I did remember to buy it. Actually, I was really looking forward to it because it sounded like a fun book... and it was :)


Tall Tales and Wedding Veils by Jane Graves
published by Grand Central Publishing in June 2008


Marry in haste...

Accountant Heather Montgomery is a planner. So never in her wildest dreams did she think she'd run into sexy charmer Tony McCaffrey in Vegas, play lady luck, and celebrate his jackpot with a champagne-soaked night. And she certainly never expected to wake up the next morning married! How could this good girl pick a man whose fridge is empty and whose apartment is a disaster zone, yet still drives her so crazy with lust she can't see straight?

Lust at leisure!

Quickly hitched and happily ditched, Tony can't wait to gt back to his playboy ways. But when Heather's family is thrilled that their no-nonsense daughter is finally in love, he proposes a plan: stay married for a month to repay his good luck charm, even though she sterilizes his toothbrush and forbids anything between the sheets. But Heather is more than he bargained for--a sharp-witted, passionate woman who just might turn his near miss into wedded bliss!

Genre: contemporary romance
Series: loosely connected to Hot Wheels and High Heels

The Story: Heather Montgomery is 29 years old woman with a curvy body and a good, but boring career as a CPA. In the beginning of the book, Heather is trying out this horrible bridesmaid dress while her cousin Regina, the bride, and aunt Bev are belittling her because she is not married and has no prospect. Although Heather does not mind, she knows that the comments are affecting her mother and making her more desperate to see Heather marry. She is definitively not looking forward to this bride trip to Las Vegas where she'll have to endure Regina and the other 5 brainless bridesmaids.

Although Tony McCaffrey never expected to own a business, when McMillan, the bar and grill where he's a regular, come up for sale, Tony knows that's where his future lies. Only problem is that his silent partner bailed out and Tony is 20,000$ short... His last resort is to see how good is his luck in Vegas...

Heather can't believe her eyes when she sees Tony in Vegas. Although they frequent the same bar and grill, Tony has never paid her much attention as his type of women run more to skinny blondes. Believing that it's fate, Heather helps Tony win the 20,000$ that he's missing. After much celebration and champagne, they end up the proud owners of a marriage license with their names on it. After a bit of panic, they seek out an annulment... Only problem is that while drunk, Heather called her mom to announce the great news and when Tony gives Heather a ride home, the whole family is there to welcome the newly-weds. Since Tony owns her, he's willing to fake their marriage for a month, until Regina's wedding, so Heather won't be ridicule and pitied....

My Opinion: This book doesn't disappoint and I really enjoyed it :D I have to say, I like this kind of storyline where the H/H are married due to various circumstances and end up falling in love. So where to start... the characters :) I really liked Heather. She's not clueless or brainless. She's a realist, very level-headed and a bit anal... basically, the total opposite of Tony. She's quite honest with her feelings and her actions reflect her feelings. I also liked how she pitched in and help Tony quite a lot with the bar and grill. Not that she's happy to be married, but if they are going to be for a certain amount of time, then she'll act the part. I also liked how well she knew Tony and didn't delude herself.

As for Tony, well I guess he's the typical bachelor player. Someone who's not ready to commit, but finds himself married. I kind of like how Ms Graves didn't "idealize" him and that the idea of marriage still made him cringed... or the fact that his friends knowing that he was married and to whom didn't make him happy. Sure, that makes him a bit shallow, but what man who decides to remain an eternal bachelor isn't? Still, he has a good sense of loyalty and responsibility. I think that Ms Graves really did a good job at making him "real," especially once he owns the bar.

The chemistry between the H/H was good and convincing. It's like opposite attracts each other :) It was entertaining to follow them as they got to know each other and I like how easilty they fell into a routine. I guess they complemented each other well. I also liked the fact that they didn't fall in bed immediately. That's always a plus in my book :P All in all, I enjoy all their scenes together whether it is prior to the wedding or when they're putting up a front for Heather's family or when they're alone. The toothbrush scene was funny and I love the proposal scene. I also like how there was no big misunderstanding at the end. Yes, there was a conflict and I understand both of their positions. I probably would have done the same as Heather and Tony's reaction was natural. I didn't feel it forced in order to have a conflict... and the resolution was nice :P

There were no subplot really or secondary romance, so the focus is totally on the main couple as it should be. The only secondary characters that stood out for me was Annie, Heather's best friend, and I do hope she gets her own book next year. Heather's family was a bit stereotyped, but at the same time, it did feel real. A mother worried that her daugther would never marry, a protective father... and the aunt and cousin that have a superiority complex. Yeah, a believable family.

My Grade: B+. If you're looking for something fun and enjoyable, I think you should give this one a chance :) The story is not new and there's some typical parts, but overall, it was well written and carried out and it made it a very enjoyable book.