Thursday, October 19, 2006

Misc...

Sigh, another long day at work.

Anyway, I went to buy some books today :D Youppi! Then, after buying them, I start thinking that soon, I'm going to have to slow down a bit. Been spending quite a lot of $$ lately and if this continues, I won't be able to save anything. Isn't that depressing?


 So what did I get?

- My favorite Witch by Annette Blair (on a whim)
- Warrior and Witch by Marie Brennan ( I liked the cover)
- The Panther & The Pyramid by Bonnie Vanak

I wanted the prequel to Warrior and Witch, i.e. Doppelganger. On the website, it said that both Chapters and Indigo had a copy, but couldn't find it... argh. Maybe I should go to the drugstore? I did find Slave to Sensation tho... By the way, what's wrong with the employees at Indigo? It seems like someone doesn't know his/her alphabet... I found Warrior and Witch by Marie Brennan after Patricia Briggs. Hmmm... doesn't E comes before I? In addition, Retrieval by Jeanie London was also placed at the wrong place (in the L, but not the right place)... and Played by Barbara Freethy was placed before Lori Forster's books... hmmm. Still can't wait the new Indigo to open tho. At least, they'll have a huge parking while the Indigo and Chapters I'm going to presently are right in the middle of downtown (it's hell to find parking place...)

I also got some manga: Bleach, Aishiteruze Baby, One Piece and Samurai Deeper Kyo (all very very good manga) at another store... which reminds me, my Gap Jeans make the alarm system ring... apparently, there's a tag in the jeans, but employees at Gap don't remove it because they don't have the alarm system to detect it... but bookstores do. So I've been ringing each time I go in or out of those store. Quite embarassing sometimes.

I am currently reading Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase. Quite good so far. (Okay, I cheated, I read the ending...) Now, I only have the middle left to read. I really like Jessica Trent... luv that she shot Dain. He deserved it... but then, he's twisted. Don't we love twisted guys?

Many of you have been posting their opinions on TV series. Well, now it's my turn (yeah, I know, I'm not really original... but who cares?) I don't watch American/Canadian TV much. Instead, I rent Chinese TV series (Hong Kong, Taiwan, mainland China) that are dubbed in vietnamese (Yes, Vietnamese speaks vietnamese, surprise surprise! - lil pun, you can go see Mailyn's today rant to understand). Anyway, so I watch Chinese TV series and these are the one I'm looking forward to:

Return of the Condor Heroes

This is a TV adaptation of Jin Yong (Louis Cha) very popular novel Return of the Condor Heroes. It's basically a martial art novel, but with lots and lots of romance. The 1983's version of Hong Kong was my first chinese TV series ever and since then, I've been hooked. I also enjoyed the 1995's version a LOT... Anyway, this series came out last March in China... I basically have to wait 1 freaking year to see it in viet (yeah, I d/l the chinese version and I know the story, so I know what's happening, but not understanding is not the same). By the way, please God, make them get really good voice actors! Please, please, please... Anyway, below are some pics. Ain't she pretty? At first, I really had doubts on her acting, but she did a fabulous job. Anyway, ain't she good (4th pic)... she used to be a dancer and she's like 19 y.o. when this series was filmed. The scenery is awesome too. (I couldn't find a fighting scene to post tho...)







Royal Blood and Stained Sword

From the same author... I wish this adaptation will be good, because the past 2 sucked. But then, the author did change the story a bit. Oh well, I'll just tell myself he never :P I actually don't like the cast that much, except for one actress which is the one in the first pic. The guy is really ugly... and the main female lead, well she didn't luck out and didn't get a really nice hairstyle and costume... ain't it sad? Oh, and there's this great actor, but he's only making guest appearance. Sigh... Been waiting for this series to be released in China ever since ROCH was released... so that's what? The whole summer already?




Last series, Flying Fox in the Snowy Mountain

Again, same author. This one, I'm hesitant. It's not the same producer/director as the previous two. And this producer is known to screw up his adaptation. It is actually so frustrating, because from the filming, you can already tell that they changed a LOT. By the way, what's up with the costum design? Yes, yes, we know... the title is Flying Fox, but you don't have to take is as a theme and one of the character has dreadlocks. Hello?? How can he look heroic with dreadlocks?!? But then, for the actor, I guess having dreadlocks is better than having half his head shaved... I like the cast tho...